Do you remember the first blog in this series with tips to grow your print business?
It was all about the importance of upselling and how to go about it.
The key take away from that blog could very well be that YOU are the expert. Your customers expect you to be on top of your game. They value your advice. They expect flawless quality… and so they should.
Well, this post will focus on just how to ensure this HIGH QUALITY OUTPUT that makes all the difference in the world.
Because if you do not deliver high quality output every single time, you will not be able to grow your business.
It’s the hard but simple truth.
You need to deliver. Your equipment needs to deliver.
… It really is that simple.
But before you get yourself all worked up, we do have a few tips to help you achieve that great quality. Tips that will help you impress and grow.
So let’s get to it.
7 KEY TIPS TO ACHIEVE HIGH QUALITY OUTPUT
1. ORIGINAL INK. The quality, colour and durability of chosen inks are essential in producing high quality graphics and long-lasting prints. Third party inks naturally have a lower level of compatibility compared to manufacturer inks which have been specifically designed with manufacturer machines in mind to deliver maximum performance and efficiency. You can read even more facts on original versus third party inks here.
2. CLEANING. Regular maintenance and cleaning of your equipment makes a world of difference to the quality of the print output. Get yourself a bottle of the appropriate cleaning solution for whatever ink you are using in your printer. Once a week, inspect your print heads and clean them with a foam swab soaked in cleaning solution. You can see ink buildup disappear and your heads return to pristine condition. Please remember never to use a swab to rub the bottom of your print heads, only the sides where the ink has built up.
3. MEDIA. Using the right media for the right application is essential. As is having the right media profiling downloaded to ensure the right temperature and curing of the print. Download your media profiles right here.
4. MEDIA CALIBRATION. Each media you use on your printer has unique properties. Distance from the surface of the head to the surface of the media is different - as is the way each media feeds through the printer. So to avoid banding it is critical that you recalibrate your printer for each type of media you use. The two basic calibrations are feed calibration (Calibration on Roland models) and BiDirectional Calibration. Feed calibration adjusts the distance the media travels through the printer after each print pass and Bidirectional calibration ensures that the print heads are placing dots in the exact same spot in both travel directions of the head carriage.
NB: Presets is a feature on Roland printers enabling you to set default characteristics for each media you use. So for each media you use, you can calibrate your printer for that media’s specific characteristics, then save those calibration settings as a Preset. The next time you switch to that media, you need only load that Preset and the printer will adjust its calibration settings to that media.
5. KISS CUT CALIBRATION. Finding just the right knife pressure to get perfectly cut stickers can sometimes be a bit of a hassle. The simple tip is to always calibrate the kiss cut settings to match the media chosen for a given print job. This Roland How To : Kiss Cut video tutorial will show you how it's done on a Roland
NB: If all else fails and you just can’t get your stickers perfectly cut, the hands on tip is to adjust thickness instead of the position of the knife. Start with a lower setting and gradually move the settings up as you go.
6. FILE QUALITY. Yet another prerequisite to high quality output is file quality. Always print reliable print-ready artwork. Our key recommendations are:
Resolution is the number 1 factor affecting your print quality. Therfore, your artwork should always be minimum 150 ppi (up to 300 ppi) at the full size of your output.
NEVER use font size under 8pt, simply because the small/thin font that looked amazing digitally will be too small to read when printed and hardly noticeable from a distance.
Only use High resolution CMYK images in your document.
Create a high-quality file to the exact size of your sign, banner, poster or the like – or at a percentage proportional to the final output desired.
Always print out a proof and review it for accuracy prior to submitting your file.
7. QUALITY EQUIPMENT. High quality print equipment makes the best possible foundation for high quality output. The new TrueVIS series - based on the latest award winning technology from Roland DG - with brand new FlexFire print heads and new TrueVIS ink combined with the renowned Roland quality, is the ideal printer if you want to be able to impress your customers with great quality output.
There you have it...
7 essential tips to ensure that you can impress your customers with high quality output that is sure to get the word spread.
If you have any doubts, contact your local authorised Roland DG dealer. They can show you the best technology on the market and assist you with media and ink questions, maintenance advice, and even file issues… with a Roland you really do get the full package!
Want to hear from us when we have new tips, tricks and how to's for you?
Sign up right here and recieve the best of what we have to offer straight in your inbox: